Action Items for today for Democrats
February 1, 2017
Taken from: http://roganslist.blogspot.com/
- Let’s support Sen. Durbin in his call for an independent commission on Russian involvement in the 2016 presidential election: http://action.dickdurbin.com/page/s/acq-russian-involvement
- Some words worth reading regarding the past few days, from Heather Richardson, History Professor at Boston College: https://www.facebook.com/heather.richardson.986/posts/654265404770041
- Request that DOJ Acting Director Dana Boente investigate Donald J Trump and Stephen Bannon for:
- a) For the appointment of Stephen Bannon to the National Security Council, an inappropriate and politically motivated appointment, not made in the interests of our country, but made to sabotage and destroy the safe and secure functioning of the United States government.
- b) For treason, pursuant to 18 USC 115, § 2381, for giving aid and comfort and adhering to enemies of the United States, to wit, Russians, Leninists, and anarchists.
- c) For misprision of treason, pursuant to 18 USC 115, § 2382, for concealing the above treason.
Contact the United States Department of Justice (Phone: 202-353-1555) or https://www.justice.gov/…/w…/your-message-department-justice). Contact ALL your legislators as well: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Circumventing protocol seems to be the new modus operandi of this administration. That it can get insiders to be co-opted into working with them is equally dangerous. http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-immigration-congress-order-234392 Contact your legislators to register your disgust: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- From one of our own: CTA: Share wherever applicable. This post is for anyone in groups that have “indivisible” in the group name (especially if the group is closed rather than secret). Be advised… there is a group targeting indivisible groups to infiltrate them. I believe the group is called Michigan Indivisible Against Trump (https://www.facebook.com/groups/1912308129014696/) and this is one of the admins (https://www.facebook.com/david.a.dudenhoefer) who lists himself as Chairman at Michigan’s 13th District Republican Committee. It appears to be a Facebook group run by Republicans who are attempting to infiltrate indivisible groups. It is a closed group rather than secret. If you are in any closed progressive groups (especially with the word indivisible in the group name), please be extra careful when adding new members. In general, keep your eyes peeled. They can’t do a whole lot to thwart activity, but they can become nuisances pretty quickly.
- An amazing compilation of actions kept meticulously by Suzan Eraslan. This is helpful for keeping track of facts as well as calling up resources in conversations. Please remember to credit her name when using it. She puts a lot of work into it daily! http://www.suzaneraslan.net/the-list
- Now that DeVos has been approved confirmed by the HELP Committee, it now goes to a full Senate vote. The reasons are still the same, folks: http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowledge-bank/articles/2017-01-25/5-reasons-to-oppose-betsy-devos-for-donald-trumps-secretary-of-education Contact your senators and keep on contacting them until the day of the vote! http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Two HELP Committee Republicans, Sens. Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), made clear that they have not yet decided how they will vote on the floor, suggesting that DeVos’s confirmation is not yet assured. Democrats are seeking to block DeVos’s confirmation, but they must convince a handful of Republicans to break with the new president. MAINE and ALASKA folks, call Senators Collins and Murkowski NOW and tell them NO TO DEVOS! 202-224-3121
- Sally Q. Yates was fired for doing her job as Acting Attorney General after she declined to defend Trump’s travel ban . Please submit her for the 2017 JFK Profile in Courage award. Anyone can submit and takes 1 minute. https://profileincourageaward.org/home/submit-your-nomination/
- The Indivisible Guide team has a great write up on how you can call on your senator to stop the Muslim ban. Information and sample script can be found here: https://www.indivisibleguide.com/resources-2/2017/1/30/your-senator-opposes-the-muslim-ban-so-tell-them-how-to-stop-it
- Call your House representative and urge them to take a stand against the appointment of Steve Bannon to the National Security Council. 5calls.org has background information, as well as a sample script here: https://5calls.org/#issue/recNqspdW0JHxisu8
- From RISE: Senators Are Standing Up to Fight! Let your Senators know that you support them as they coordinate boycotts to delays votes for Cabinet appointments. Senate boycotts have already delayed votes on Treasury and Health and Human Services. http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-senate-boycott-idUSKBN15F1YQ FOR ANY STATE: Dial 1-202-224-3121, enter your zip-code and be connected automatically to your Senator.
- 3 votes short to block DeVos (Education). If you live in ME, TN, AK, GA, UT, NC, WY, LA, KS, SC, or KY, call your US Congressman 202-224-3121 or 202-225-3121. She is grossly unprepared to deal with this prospective position ~ please please please look at what has happened to Michigan’s public schools under her watch !!!!
- Please sign this White House petition to “Fire Steve Bannon”. Steve Bannon poses a threat to our democracy. He has said that he wants to send the status quo crashing down. He appears to be the person calling the shots at the White House and no one elected him. He is not qualified to be on the National Security Council. He is a very dangerous man. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/fire-steve-bannon-3
- Let’s contact our senators about this highly unusual situation regarding Bannon and the National Security Council ask them to formally request that the Senate force the White House to comply with 50 U.S. Code § 3021 – National Security Council – “Section (a) (6) – the Secretaries and Under Secretaries of other executive departments and of the military departments, when appointed by the President by and with the ADVICE AND CONSENT OF THE SENATE, to serve at his pleasure.” http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2017-01-31/steve-bannon-on-national-security-council-may-require-senate-confirmation There are many grave concerns about this individual having any voice whatsoever, or even information in regards, to National Security Council information. We would like to see our concerns voiced in a hearing by our Senators. Find your senators here: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- Congresswoman Maxine Waters Introduces Legislation Urging Investigation of President Trump’s ties to Russia and Cyberattacks: https://waters.house.gov/media-center/press-releases/congresswoman-waters-introduces-legislation-urging-investigation. Please contact your representatives indicating your support for this legislation: http://act.commoncause.org/site/PageServer?pagename=sunlight_advocacy_list_page
- While calls to legislators are always better, there are just times that emailing is just more pertinent at the moment. It is sometimes difficult to find just where to send that email or how to find the right place in the legislator’s website. Try this to make it a bit easier: https://democracy.io/#/
- From Weekly Actions to Resist Trump: Donald Trump has announced his nominee for the stolen Supreme Court seat: Judge Neil Gorsuch, exactly the kind of pick we feared when Trump won. He’s a turn-back-the-clock extremist who is dangerous for women, workers and the planet. And he might give billionaires a new best friend on the Supreme Court. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/31/us/politics/neil-gorsuch-supreme-court-nominee.html We’re telling our senators that if they don’t oppose this unacceptable nominee, we will hold them accountable at the ballot box. To contact your senators on this go to this website, and scroll down until you see the “This Week” issue, click, then follow the directions: http://www.weekly-resistance.online/
- Join in this “No to DeVos” letter-writing campaign sponsored by Diane Ravitch’s Network for Public Education: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/vote-no-for-devos-3